Faculty Advising

Advising at ϲʲͼ Mercy

Academic advising is a collaborative effort between students and their advisors to reflect on academic/career goals and to track academic progress. By working together, students are able to make sound decisions that will empower them to take ownership of their education and further their academic and professional success.

Use the sections below to find out more information about advising at ϲʲͼ Mercy along with resources for assistance. 


     First Year StudentsAdvising Newsletters        Advising Tip Sheet  

Advising Overview

Open All | Close All

  • Role of the Academic Advisor

    The academic advisor plays an important role in guiding and supporting their advisees towards successfully achieving their academic goals. For most programs, students must consult with and obtain the approval of an academic advisor in the development of their schedules for each term and when changing registration (adding or dropping) after the first week of classes. Students can also consult their advisor for clarification of academic policies and procedures and when contemplating changes in their major program or curriculum.

    It is important for advisors to keep abreast of changes in University policies and procedures, as well as being familiar with their program curricula, Core Curriculum requirements and other graduation requirements. Advisors should also be familiar with the various support services available on campus and be reasonably available to their advisees in person, via phone or email.

  • Advisor Assignment

    Advisors are typically full-time faculty, though some advising may be done by administrative personnel in the offices of the college or school dean and the professional staff of academic support service programs. First year full-time students are assigned an academic advisor as part of the orientation program. Transfer, adult and part-time advisors have been designated for freshmen, special admission students, undecided students and returning students. These advisors ordinarily work with students for one or two terms. When the student declares and is accepted into a major, a new advisor in that discipline will usually be assigned. A good advising relationship requires that both the student and the advisor be comfortable with each other. Students who are uncomfortable or dissatisfied with their advising relationship may request a change of advisor by contacting their Dean's Office.

  • How Students See Advisor Assignment

    Students can determine who has been assigned as their advisor by reviewing the Student Record in My Portal. Students should meet with their advisor at least once per term, prior to registering for classes. It is recommended that students prepare for their advising appointment by reflecting on their academic and career goals. Students should also review their progress towards degree completion by running their Degree Evaluation (in My Portal). Students can also review degree requirements in the University catalog. Students should review the Class Schedule to plan a draft schedule for the upcoming semester to go over with their advisor.

    Advisors, counselors, faculty and administrative staff may assist students by explaining requirements and procedures in individual instances. However, students are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the requirements, procedures and regulations set forth in the catalog. A student's catalog term can be found on the Student Profile in My Portal. 

  • Student Support and Assistance with Personal Challenges

    Students experiencing personal difficulties, whether related to the University or not, are encouraged to make use of the services offered by Personal Counseling, Student Affairs/Dean of Students, or University Ministry.  Trained staff in these offices may provide direct assistance to the student or referral to more specialized help. Additional University Resources are provided in the section "University Resources" below.
  • Helpful Questions for an Advising Session

    Helpful questions to ask your advisee during an advising session

    • How are things going for you this semester?
    • Tell me about a class you are enjoying the most.
    • What class seems to be the most challenging right now?
    • Have your plans or career goals changed in any way?
    • Do you have any other obligations (e.g. job, family responsibilities)? If so, how many hours each week? Have you experienced difficulty in balancing these with your academic responsibilities?
    • Are you an athlete?  If yes, what sport... and are there practice times we need to try to avoid?
    • Consider asking about a student’s interest or engagement with:
      • Clubs or organizations
      • Co-op/internships (refer to Center for Career and Professional Development or individual college/school co-op office as appropriate)
      • Adding a minor or concentration
      • Adding a Language Certificate
      • Study abroad
    • Student Support Resources: Are there any resources on campus you want to know more about? They are free!  See University Resources on this website below.
    • For seniors: check that they have applied for graduation and ask if they have rsvp’d for commencement. 
    • What questions haven’t I asked that would be helpful for us to talk about before we finish?
  • Students of Concern

    If there is a concern of imminent harm for the student or others, please contact Public Safety 313-993-1234.
    To report an episode or concern, submit a Student of Concern Report or contact the dean of students at 313-993-1028.

Advising FAQs

Open All | Close All

  • How do I know who my advisees are?

    Faculty are assigned advisees by their department. Some programs have default advisors set up for specific programs. You can view your list of advisees through Self-Service on My Portal. Students remain active advisees even if they are not currently enrolled. Student records become inactive after four semesters of non-attendance or due to graduation.
  • What if my advisee is a new freshman, transfer, or international student?

    Additional advising resources can be found:

    New Freshman/Transfer Students

    International Students

  • What are the processes/policies for a student taking classes elsewhere?

    Students should obtain permission prior to taking classes elsewhere using the Current ϲʲͼ Mercy Student-Request for Guest/Transfer Credit form.

    This form should be signed by both the advisor and student's dean's office with the approval included in an Advisor Note.

    Students must not exceed the transfer credit limit.

    Per the Senior Residency Rule, undergraduate students must take the last 30 credits of their program at UDM.  Exceptions must be petitioned in writing to their dean's office.

    If requested classes are not in the  database, these will need to be reviewed. Assistance regarding the review process and questions relating to other transfer policies should be sent to the Transfer Team at transferteam@udmercy.edu or 313-993-1940.

  • When does a student need to use a paper registration form?

    Students use My Portal to register, drop, and withdraw from courses during the published deadlines.

    If a student has a hold preventing them from completeing their request online, they can use an Advising and Registration Form. If they are looking to add into a course after the first week the instructor's signature as well as an advisor's signature is required (an override sheet is also required for closed classes). Dean's Office signatures are required on late adds, but not for drop/withdrawal forms.


  • How long does a student have to drop a class?

    Students may drop/delete a course in My Portal until the semester begins. After the first week of classes Advising and Change in Registration Form form is required. The form must be signed by the Dean's Office and then be processed by the Office of the Registrar.

    If a course is dropped during the 100 percent refund period no record of enrollment for the individual course will appear on the student’s transcript. The 100 percent refund period varies by the length of the course. In courses that are seven weeks or longer the drop needs to take place by Day 7 of the semester or part of term. In course that is less than seven weeks long the drop needs to occur on the first day of the class.

    Students who withdraw after the 100 percent drop period through 75 percent of the course taking place will receive a "W" as a final grade for each course dropped. The last day to withdraw specific to each course section is listed in the Schedule of Classes. The course remains on the student's grade report and transcript with a W, but will not be counted in hours attempted or the GPA calculation.

    Students may not withdraw during the last 25 percent of the course unless they have received approval from their dean. No withdrawal may be processed after the end of the class.

  • Is withdrawing from the University the same as dropping a class?

    Withdrawing from a course results in a grade of "W." Dropping or deleting a course does not result in a "W." Sometimes the words withdraw and drop are used interchangeably, but really mean different things when it comes to the student's record.
  • If a student doesn't attend for a semester do they have to reapply?

    In most programs students do not have to be consecutively enrolled in order to remain active in the program. A student can "sit-out" for four semesters before they have to submit an Application for Readmission. This is not true in some accelerated or graduate programs where the student must be enrolled every semester in order to remain in the program.
  • How does a student change a major or minor?

    Any changes to the student's academic program requires a Change in Program form. The student should complete the form and obtain the signatures from the Dean's Office for their primary program along with the Dean's Office for the additional major/minor/program if different from their primary program's office.

  • What is considered full-time status? Is it OK to go below full-time status?

    Full-time status is considered 12 or more credit hours for undergraduate students and 9 or more credit hours for graduate students. There are some exceptions to the full-time/part-time rules for co-op assignments, some clinical assignments, dissertation credits and some intensive English courses. Courses that are considered full-time regardless of credit hours can be found in the Schedule of Classes in the search features.

    It is not OK for athletes or international students to drop below full-time status without consulting with the Athletic Department or the International Services Office respectively.

    Students who are receiving financial aid as full-time students may also jeopardize their financial aid by dropping below full-time status. Please consult with your financial aid counselor before dropping a course. 

  • How does a student get an official transcript?

    There are several ways to order an official transcript through the Office of the Registrar. Ways to order a transcript and fee information can be found here.
  • How do students get verification of enrollment?

    Current students and recent graduates can get an enrollment verification through their My Portal account by using the National Student Clearinghouse link from the Student Profile. An enrollment certificate shows their enrollment status for a particular semester or for their enrollment history at ϲʲͼ Mercy.  This information can only be obtained after the add/drop period for a semester.

    Former students who do not have access to My Portal can obtain an enrollment verification through the Office of the Registrar.

    Faculty and advisors should not provide enrollment verification letters.

  • What do I do if my advisee appears to be having problems I can't handle?

    If students are experience personal issues and need assistance, please review the Student Support and Assistance with Personal Challenges information above. If the student is having financial difficulties, have the student contact their financial aid counselor for options and assistance.

    For other issues. the assistant or associate dean from the college or school or chair or director of the program in which student is enrolled are typically an excellent source of information for students. They also are aware of other contact persons throughout the University who can serve as a resource to the student.

  • What should I do with my advisees who are on academic probation?

    Making sure that students on probation are getting the assistance they need to be successful is critical to retaining that student. The Student Success Center has a number of programs that students on probation can take advantage of. Each college or school has its own practices as it relates to students on probation which may require the student to be in contact with their advisor more frequently along with possible additional requirements. Again, the assistant or associate dean may be the best resource for that information.

Academic Offices

Architecture & Community Development

Dean's Office: 313-993-1532
Associate Dean's Office: 313-993-1519

Business Administration

Dean's Office: 313-993-1204
Assistant Dean's Office: 313-993-1118



Engineering & Science

Dean's Office: 313-993-1187
Assistant Dean's Office (Engineering): 313-993-3362
Assistant Dean's Office (Science): 313-993-1021

Health Professions

Dean's Office: 313-993-1208

Liberal Arts & Education

Dean's Office: 313-993-3250
Associate Dean's Office: 313-993-3254

Student Success Center

Academic Interest and Major Exploration & Health Exploration
Office: 313-993-1143