Student Accounting FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Check the answers here for common student account concerns.  If you need further assistance, contact the Student Accounting Office.

Go to answers about the 1098-T tax form.

Open All | Close All

  • When is payment due?

    Payment is due by the Friday before the first day of the semester. If you are mailing your payment, please mail it two weeks before the start of the semester to allow ample time for processing.
  • Can I make a payment online?


    International students can pay by wire using 

    Domestic students can pay online via credit card or electronic check by accessing their account in  choosing student profile, student account, then Pay Now (CashNet). All credit/debit payments will be assessed a 2.85% convenience fee. There is no fee associated with electronic check payments.

  • Can I make a payment by telephone?

    We do not accept payments over the phone.
  • When will I get my bill?

    If you register early you should receive a statement 2 weeks before the beginning of the term.  All bills will be sent to your email address. You may print your bill once you click into it. We will retain at least six months of bills for you to view and print.
  • What if I have no money, but have applied for grants or loans?

    Contact the Financial Aid Office and request a financial aid waiver.
  • What should I do if my financial aid is less than my bill?

    Pay the difference or set up a Cashnet Payment Plan. You can set up a plan by going to  Click "Student Account" Click "Payment Plan * (CashNet)".

  • I think there's an error on my statement; what should I do?

    If there is an error in your class schedule or tuition rate, contact the Registrar's Office at 313-993-3313 or

    If the error is in the amount of financial aid that has been posted to your account, contact the Financial Aid Office at 313-993-3350 or

    For all other questions, please contact the Student Accounting Office at 313-993-1420 or

  • I never attended class. Won't I be dropped automatically?

    No. It is your responsibility to drop a class once you have registered. Efforts are made to drop those students who have never attended classes; however, to ensure accurate record keeping, it is the responsibility of the student to file a Change in Registration form with the Registrar.
  • I did not pay anything. Why do I need to file for a refund?

    A tuition refund must be applied to a student account to remove tuition charges. Otherwise, charges stay on the account and continue to accrue service charges, and collection activity will continue.
  • If I file a Petition for Refund, will I get money back?

    Refunds are applied first to any financial aid source you received. If your student account has been paid with financial aid, the grants and loans will be returned to the funding agency. After the financial aid portion is adjusted, and if you paid tuition beyond that amount, a refund check will be issued to you.
  • If I file a petition for refund, under what circumstances are refunds granted?

    Refunds are granted when circumstances beyond the control of the student prevent the student from attending class. Your request must be made one year from your date of withdrawal.

    Examples include:

    • Medical/health issues
    • Unexpected employment conflicts (such as shift change or loss of job)
    • Recalls to active duty in the military
    • Other situations beyond the control of the student, to be evaluated on an individual basis

Form 1098-T FAQ

Your 1098-T tax form can be viewed and printed at 

You will need your social security number to log in, our school code is 2w.

Check the answers below for more 1098-T information.

Open All | Close All

  • Why has ϲʲͼ Mercy sent me this Form 1098-T?

    The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 requires eligible institutions such as the ϲʲͼ to provide Form 1098-T to all students who were enrolled in a university program during the calendar year. An informational bulletin that will aid you in determining your eligibility has been included as well.
  • There is no amount on my Form 1098-T

    That information is not required to be on your 1098-T. However, some financial information is provided in the letter that is attached to the Form 1098-T.

    Please note: Box 1 contains all of your payments, including loans.  Box 5 contains scholarships and grants only.

  • What information is provided in boxes 4 and 5 on my form?

    Box 8 will be checked if you were enrolled at least halftime for any term for which you were enrolled during the year. Box 9 will be checked only if you were enrolled as a graduate student for all terms in which you were enrolled during the calendar year.
  • How much am I eligible to claim?

    Under the Hope Scholarship Credit, taxpayers can claim a maximum credit of $1,500 (100 percent of the first $1,000 and 50 percent of the next $1,000 in eligible expenses).

    Under the Lifetime Learning Credit, taxpayers can claim up to 20 percent of the first $5,000 in eligible expenses for a maximum credit of $1,000.

  • What kinds of payments count when determining my tax credit eligibility?

    Generally, only cash payments and student loans can be used when calculating the amount of eligible expenses paid. Consult your tax advisor.
  • My son or daughter was enrolled during the calendar year. Am I eligible for credit?

    You may be eligible if the student meets the criteria for the Hope or Lifetime Credit and he/she can be claimed as a dependent. However, you should consult your tax advisor.
  • Where can I find more information?

    Call the IRS taxpayer hotline at 800-829-1040 or visit their website at . Your tax preparer should also have information about these credits.